Reviewing the Past
Guest Lecturer Cruises
|The Croatian Apoxyomenos 1st Cent. BC, H. 192 cm|
Mimara Archaeological Museum, Zagreb, Croatia
Part of the luxury cargo was a large bronze statue of a naked athlete, depicted removing the oil and sand from his body after exercise - called an “apoxyomenos” (Greek for "the one who scrapes"). One of my lectures described the discovery and the salvaging of the bronze athlete, followed by a description of the long and complex three stage process of analysis, conservation and restoration in Zagreb.
- 2012: VOYAGES TO ANTIQUITY: CRUISES TO CLASSICAL CIVILIZATIONS, on board MV Aegean Odyssey, "The Isles of Greece", Athens-Istanbul, 15-28 September. (Go to: 'Later Posts' for text and images).
- My inner Odysseus emerged in September 2012 on
board the elegant MV Aegean Odyssey as we explored the legendary Isles of
Greece. As a Guest Lecturer I was one of the fortunate Australians on board -
courtesy of Voyages to Antiquity and Cruise Traveller, Sydney. From Athens we
cruised to Nauplia, Crete, Santorini, Delos, Izmir and Skiathos then on to Hesiod’s
smoldering Lemnos at the entrance to the Dardanelles. On a perfect evening as
we sailed towards Istanbul past the ancient site of Troy, Dr Gabrielle Wood
recited - in perfect ancient Greek - passages from Homer’s Iliad. This was an
unforgettable experience as was the cruise itself and the experience of
visiting the archaeological sites and museums on the islands, or simply
wandering at leisure through the island villages.
- 2010: SWAN HELLENIC: SULEIMAN THE MAGNIFICENT - on board Minerva from Istanbul to Antalya, cruising the Emerald Coast of Turkey.
- 2009: HEBRIDEAN CRUISE LINES, on board 'Hebridean Spirit', 2-9 September, "Legendary Greece", cruise through the Peloponnese.
You Tube Videos
Screentime-Sydney Australia/Bob Campbell-Dr Monica M. Interview
Screentime-Sydney Australia/Bob Campbell-Dr Monica M. Interview
- 2012: November 10:20 pm "What Made Alexander Great?" with Phillip Adams ABC Radio National - Late Night Live with Phillip Adams
- 2010: ABC 576, By Design (Wednesday 7 July) with presenter Alan Saunders (producer Mark Wakely). In conjunction with the exhibition Beauty and Betrayal: Ancient and Neo-Classical Jewellery at the Nicholson Museum, The University of Sydney (30 June-26 November, 2010). ABC Radio 'By Design' with Alan Saunders
- 2010: ABC 666 Drive. Thursday 22 July with Adam Shirley, in conjunction with a lecture on jewellery and the dating of the Antikythera Mechanism, for the Friends of the ANU Classics Museum Canberra.
- 2006: ABC 702: Morning Live. Wednesday 8 November 2006, with Virginia Trioli. In conjunction with a lecture for Sotheby's Sydney. Castellani Magic: The Lost Art of Italian Archaeological Jewellery.
- 2018: Sydney, 20 October, Picasso Untamed: Dancing with Satyrs, Hazelhurst Arts Centre, Gymea. Friends of Hazelhurst _Newsletter-October-December-2018
- 2018: Brisbane:12 September, 'In Conversation with Adjunct Professor Joan Sheldon AM'. Vignettes from Monica's recent publication - Hellenistic Jewellery in the Benaki Museum, Athens, The Moreton Club.
- 2018: Melbourne: 6 September, 'In Conversation with Professor Tim G. Parkin', Lecturer in Classics and Archaeology, School of Historical and Philosophical Studies, University of Melbourne. The evening event will mark the 2017 publication of Hellenistic Jewellery in the Benaki Museum, Athens, the Hellenic Museum.
- 2018: Sydney:15 March, 'In Conversation with Sylvia Gzell'. Vignettes from Hellenistic Jewellery in the Benaki Museum, Athens, The Queen's Club.
- 2014: London, 24 June, Burlington House, Royal Academy of Arts, Beauty and the Greek: Hellenistic Jewellery in the Benaki Museum Athens, UK Society of Jewellery Historians.
- 2014: Sydney, 16 April, The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW) Bactrian Jewellery and Begram Ivories, in conjunction with the international exhibition "Afghanistan: Hidden Treasures from the National Museum, Kabul", (7 March - 15 June 2014). http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/calendar/exhibition-talks-Afghanistan/
- 2013: London, Victoria & Albert Museum, Hochhauser Auditorium, 4 July, Classical Inspirations: The Timeless Legacy of Castellani Archaeological and Revivalist jewellery.
- 2013: Sydney, 17 April, The Australian Museum, The Hidden Techniques of the Macedonian Goldsmiths, in conjunction with the international exhibition from the Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, "Alexander - 2000 Years of Treasures" (24 November 2012 - 28 April 2013).
- 2013: Sydney, 3 March, The Journey of Ancient Gold, in conjunction with the international exhibition from the Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, "Alexander - 2000 Years of Treasures" (24 November 2012 - 28 April 2013) Australian Museum. Conquerer talks - Australian Museum
- 2013: Sydney, 28 February, Picasso and the Mythology of Ancient Greece, The Nicholson Museum, The University of Sydney.
- 2012: London, 4 October, Jewellery from the Antikythera Shipwreck: New Chronological Evidence, Society of Antiquaries, Burlington House, The Royal Academy of Arts. Society of Antiquaries UK/salon/archive/
- 2012: London, 2 October, A Buried Jewellery Hoard on the Island of Delos and an Ancient Roman Shipwreck, Gemmological Association of Great Britain, 21 Ely Place.
- 2011: Sydney, 14 December, Special Lecture, Picasso Art and Eros, in conjunction with the exhibition "Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris (12 November 2011- 25 March 2012). Domain Theatre, The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW). This lecture discusses why Eros the Greek god of love, has always been one of the fundamental impulses behind the creative activity of artists and the driving force behind the art of Picasso. Art Gallery.NSW Picasso-Art-and-Eros
|Diana Singer and Monica M. Jackson|
- 2011: New York, 15 September, Hidden Techniques of the Macedonian Goldsmiths, The American Society of Jewelry Historians (ASJH), The Fashion Institute of Technology. Hidden-techniques-of-Macedonian goldsmiths;http://dailyjewel.blogspot.com.au/2011_08_14_archive.htmlAll Jewelry blog; American-Society-of-Jewelry-Historians/facebook jewelpedia.com/news_kosmimata-makedonia.html
- 2011: Sydney, 17 August, Mystery and Magnificence: The Lure of Etruscan Gold Jewellery, The Nicholson Museum, The University of Sydney.
- 2011: Melbourne, 14 April, The Antikythera Shipwreck: Dating its Treasures of Bronze, Gold and Marble, Classical Association of Victoria, The University of Melbourne.
- 2010: Sydney, 11 February, Cultural Property: Looting and Repatriation in the XXI Century, Guest Speaker Dinner, The Queen's Club.
- 2010: London, 17 March, Persian Opulence: The Art of the Jeweller, Hockhauser Auditorium, The Victoria & Albert Museum. Hochhauser Auditorium V&A Museum
- 2010: Canberra, 22 July, The Antikythera Shipwreck: Dating an Ancient Computer Using Jewellery Evidence. Friends of the Classics Museum, Australian National University (ANU).
- 2010: Sydney, 30 June, The Gold of Afghanistan: Ancient Treasures Rediscovered. Opening night of the exhibition ‘Beauty and Betrayal: Ancient and Neo-Classical Jewellery’ (30 June - December, 2010) The Nicholson Museum, The University of Sydney. 'Beauty & Betrayal' Ancient and Neo Classical Jewellery Exhibition;
- 2010: Brisbane, 22 April, Afghanistan: The Rediscovered Treasures of Ancient Bactria, The University of Queensland.
- 2008: Sydney, 3 May, Art & Eros, Benevolent Society Guest Speaker Dinner, The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW).
- 2008: Sydney, 13 November, Guest Speaker Luncheon: ‘Conversations in the Red Room’, The Union Club.
- 2008: Sydney,18 October, Afghanistan: The Treasures of Ancient Bactria Recovered, Saturday history course: "Distant Horizons: From Persepolis to Samarkand and Beyond", Domain Theatre, The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW).
- 2008: Sydney: 17 July, Castellani Genius: The Lost Art of Italian Archaeological Jewellery. The 2008 Annual Alexander Cambitoglou Lecture, in conjunction with the exhibition, "Classical Fantasies: The Art of South Italy" (13 April - 31 December 2008), The Nicholson Museum, The University of Sydney.
- 2007: Sydney: 8 August, Castellani Magic: The Lost Art of Italian Archaeological Jewellery, Royal Sydney Golf Club.
- 2007: Sydney: 4 August, Persian Opulence: The Art of the Jeweller, Study Day: Domain Theatre, The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW) Sydney.
- 2006: Sydney: 7 September, Glorious Gold: The Mysterious Techniques of the Ancient Jewellers, The Queen's Club.
- 2005: Sydney, 17 November, Royalty, Romance and Revenge: Jewellery from the Age of Alexander the Great, The Friends of the Nicholson Museum Christmas Party, The University of Sydney. Gold! Gold! Gold! -Museums past-issues/news.
- 2005: London, 27 September, Hellenistic Gold Jewellery: The Significance of the New, The Society of Jewellery Historians, Burlington House, The Royal Academy of Arts.
- 2005: Sydney, Saturday 4 June, Golden Treasures from the Benaki Museum. In conjunction with the exhibition, "Greek Treasures: from the Benaki Museum in Athens" (5 May - 4 September 2005), The Powerhouse Museum.
- 2005 Sydney< 21 April, Hellenistic Gold Jewellery: The Shock of the New. Two lectures to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Australian Decorative Fine Arts Society (ADFAS), Chauvel Cinema.
- 2005: Sydney: 7 April, Royalty Romance and Revenge: Jewellery from the Age of Alexander the Great, The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW).
- 2005: Sydney, 8 March, Royalty, Romance and Revenge: Jewellery from the Age of Alexander the Great, The Queen's Club.
- 2004: Sydney, 14 October, From Helen of Troy to Cleopatra: Bejewelled Beauties of the Ancients, The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW).
Conferences and Seminar Papers
- 2010: Varna, 23-25 October, “The Christian Element in Anglo-Saxon Hoards”, International Conference of Archaeology, 'Reflections of Faith: Christian Architecture and the Arts 4th-5th Centuries AD', Varna Regional Museum of History, Bulgaria.
- 2009: Istanbul, 14-18 September, From Vani to Varna: Late Classical Jewellery Reconsidered, Fourth International Congress on Black Sea Antiquities, 'The Bosporus: Gateway between the Ancient West and East' (1st Millennium BC-5th Century AD) Istanbul University, Faculty of Letters, Eurasia Institute, Istanbul, Turkey. 4th-International Congress-Black Sea Antiquities-Istanbul University
- 2008: Sydney, 5th March, Allocating Cultural Objects to Modern Political Units: Stylistic Migration and the Fuidity of Ancient Frontiers, The Institute of Art and Law, London & New York, Seminar: 'Repatriation, Deaccessioning and the Integrity of Museum and Archive Collections'. Elginism Seminar_Repatriation in Australia
- 2007: Pecs, 11-13 July, In the Shadow of the Tombaroli: Archaeology and Cultural Heritage in the 21st Century. Conference: 'Portable Antiquities and Archaeological Looting within the Enlarged European Community: Law, Ethics and Policy', The University of Pecs, Hungary.
- 2006: Sydney, 3-7 December, Stylistic Influences of Coins on Jewellery from the Eastern Mediterranean to Bactria, The Oriental Society of Australia (OSA) The University of Sydney. Conference panel discussion: ‘Numismatics of the Orient: Current Research Issues’ at the Fiftieth Anniversary Conference:- 'World Without Walls, East and West: 21st Century Perspectives'.